[midvalleybirds] Chip Ross Park woodpeckers and other oak birds

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Jan 31 17:06:00 PST 2019

Today I took a late afternoon walk around Chip Ross Park in NW Corvallis and was pleased to run across a nice assortment of oak-associated birds, which are responding well to the city's recent oak release/thinning project.

Woodpeckers were well represented with at least 11 Acorn Woodpeckers, 2 Northern Flickers, plus Downy, Hairy, and Pileated Woodpeckers heard. White-breasted Nuthatches and Western Bluebirds were active in the oaks just east of the parking area, along with bunches of Yellow-rumped Warblers.

The views from up top were even more fun than the birds, with the Three Sisters, Mt. Washington, Three-Fingered Jack, Mt. Jefferson, and Mt. Hood all visible.

I don't use eBird much but I made a list of today's observations, with the idea that it could be helpful as part of the record of how oak species are responding to the city's management of this natural area.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52251789