[midvalleybirds] Best places to see red-tailed hawks; local Harlan's this winter?

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sat Jan 26 18:23:09 PST 2019

Hi Olin & All,

Sorry to be slow to respond on this. There were a couple of Harlan's Red-tailed Hawks reported for the Airlie-Albany CBC. One was on a farm off Stapleton Rd. a couple miles south of Independence, where a wintering Harlan's has shown up for several winters in a row now. I don't know the details on where the other one was found.

I haven't seen any particularly notable concentrations of Red-tails but overall there seem to be good numbers around the mid-valley this winter.

On a mid-December raptor survey in northern Benton County, my daughter and recorded a total of 56. Of those, nearly a third (17) were in the area right around and just NW of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area (along Camp Adair Rd., north on Hwy 99W to Berry Creek and Soap Creek, then west along Robison Rd. to the rifle range). My recollection is that most of them were in areas with perennial grasses, which typically support better vole populations.

Earlier this winter, there were reports of a concentration in the area south and east of Tangent.

Cheers,
Joel

Folks: