[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Chipping Sparrows near Baskett Slough NWR

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sat Jan 26 07:45:15 PST 2019

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:29:15 -0800
Subject: [obol] 4 Chipping Sparrows near BSNWR, 1/25/19

A few or more of winters ago I wrote about this topic on obol, I looked for
winter Chipping Sparrows along edges of mature Filbert orchards after
having accidentally stumbling on some. It had been said they aren't here
in winter and more likely a Clay colored or something. I have seen rather
large winter flocks of CHSP in the Mohave high desert
I had found winter Chippies at the edges of 8 of 11 mature or old orchards
I looked at, usually about 4 each place, always mixed with large loose
flocks of Juncos, Chickadees, Crowned Sparrows, other little birds

That's what I did today, along Farmer Rd there is a mile or so of mature
old Filberts 2 miles east of Hwy 99, drive until you see a lot of little
bird activity, they use the catkins and lichens on the trees just now.
They are not mistakable, with their rufousy caps and grey nape and every
other field mark, buoyant flight and small size

Roy Gerig Salem OR