[midvalleybirds] Hooded Merganser eats rough skinned newt (?)

Lisa Millbank millbank.lisa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:24:39 PST 2019

Hi Frank and all,

That's a really unusual thing to see, it always seems like those newts
don't have much to fear except for Common Garter Snakes.  A photographer in
British Columbia got this shot of a female Hooded Merganser with a
Rough-skinned Newt in her bill.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantaljacques2012/33618434010/in/photostream/

The photographer provided some information about the variability of newt
toxicity, to the extent that newts in some parts of BC are totally
nontoxic.  Oregon newts are probably more toxic on average, but maybe this
merganser knows how to wash off some of the toxin, or she can detect the
level of toxicity somehow and pick less dangerous ones.

Lisa Millbank