[midvalleybirds] About 16 Trumpeter Swans back in Suver area, s. Polk County

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Fri Jan 25 15:09:52 PST 2019

This afternoon nine TRUMPETER SWANS were in a grass field along the south side of Suver Rd., about 1/4 mile just east of Hwy 99W.

This is midway between Monmouth and Corvallis, at the flashing yellow light by the old Richards Store (a.k.a. Suver Junction).

Some more TRUMPETER SWANS were swimming with TUNDRA SWANS on "Lake Filbert," along Hwy 99W about a mile north of there. They were kind of far off the road for sorting out with binoculars, but looked to me like 5 Tundras and 7 Trumpeters.

Trumpeter Swans and Tundra Swans often gather in the Suver Junction area during late January and into February, while staging for migration. This is usually when we finally find out how many Trumpeters wintered in the mid-Willamette Valley.