[midvalleybirds] SALEM AREA GREAT BLUE HERON ROOKERIES

Jon Hazen salemoregon2468 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:54:21 PST 2019

On a recent trip to Wilsonville, I spotted what I believe is an active, but
seasonally unoccupied GBH rookery along I-5 north of Salem.  I returned
yesterday and photographed it.

This morning I visited another site, this one in West Salem.  I believe
this is where the herons nesting adjacent to Salem Riverfront Park moved
some years ago.  I also photographed the abandoned Riverfront Park rookery
to add context.

This is a six-photo array concerning 2 active sites and the one that was
abandoned. Because I was parking along very busy highways, I have repeated
warnings about safety with the photos.

The photos are high resolution and in order for viewing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/coBunFHLzfUZWz7d9

There was also a bit of a surprise for me.  In the photo of the abandoned
rookery seen from Salem Riverfront Park, there was an anomaly.  I was
without binoculars so I wasn't sure if it was a bird, two crossing limbs,
or...?

I have it marked on a wide view followed by an enlarged photo.  Maybe this
is a reason the rookery relocated to West Salem.  I always thought it was
park foot traffic that caused the relocation.

-Jon

///

--
Jon Hazen
NE Salem

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by
his fathers, but borrowed from his children."  - John James Audubon