[midvalleybirds] Linn Say's Phoebe, and Canon 7D Mark II v SX70

tom at barbless.com tom at barbless.com
Fri Jan 18 13:31:06 PST 2019

As first reported by Alex, a Say's Phoebe on the north side of Ward Butte,
on Morgan Drive.

     https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51799515

In very poor light (!), three photos in the eBird report were taken with my
Canon 7D Mark II with 100-400mm L lens (5lbs 11oz, $4,000+), and three more
with my new Canon SX70 (1lb 7oz, $550, Dec. 2018 release date). All photos
were stored as fine-large-jpeg, typically taken at the long end of the lens,
and typically cropped about 50% prior to posting in eBird. No other image
tweaks were applied. IMHO, the SX70 doesn't touch the 7DMII setup wrt image
stabilization and focusing speed/agility thru brushy conditions, but it is
proving decent and far easier to carry around. With a tad more light, I
would expect both picture sets to look far better.

--tg

P.S. I hope to see some of you at tomorrow's Willamette Valley Bird
Symposium in Corvallis.