[midvalleybirds] harriers and owls

Lars Norgren larspernorgren at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:10:58 PST 2019

The above species will roost communally in winter. White-tailed Kites can
also join the slumber party. My father and l once flushed a dozen each
harriers and short-eared owls from an apparent roost south of Royal Avenue.
It was mid-day in Nov/Dec 75. That was before the present system of
dikes/impoundments/regulated hunting. Reed canary grass was head high on a
human from Royal to W.11th. The following year l was out of the country. It
was possible to visit Royal Ave at dusk and see over a dozen kites at once
gathered near the aforementioned roost.