[midvalleybirds] Birder's camera

Frank Kolwicz fhkolwicz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:54:32 PST 2019

My favorite website for camera-related tech info, lensrentals.com, just
tested what looks like the closest thing I've seen to an ideal camera
for bird documentation, a Nikon Coolpix P1000. The article should have
enough information for anyone with a question to figure out if this is
for them and, if not, offers a rental option for a good hands-on
evaluation in the field (and great service). The article is at
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/01/the-nikon-p1000-is-the-most-fun-ive-had-with-a-new-camera-in-years/.

A couple of years ago I tried out a similar Canon model SX70 (?) and
found it to be essentially useless in terms of image quality for my
purposes as a photographer, this Nikon looks much better, but please
heed the warnings about image stability and atmospheric disturbance
effects at the long end of the focal range - anything above about 600mm,
more or less, depending on a lot of things, your own steadiness not the
least. But, if you're already walking with one or two poles, you
probably have the makings of a camera steady rest available or easy to
adapt to supporting the camera.

Good luck and good birding,

Frank
in Monmouth