[midvalleybirds] Nice January walk in California? No, Polk County, Oregon

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Fri Jan 11 05:21:01 PST 2019

Hi all,

Yesterday afternoon I was out for a stroll through vineyards and and oak woods on a small winery between Dallas and Monmouth, in sunshine and pleasant 50 F temperatures.

A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was sneaking around the woods along a small creek.

A BLACK PHOEBE was chirping and catching insects around the barn.

I heard ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS grinding away at their song, at three different spots along the walk.

Two or three decades ago, all three of these species were more associated with northern California and the southwest corner of Oregon. Now they are part of our regular local avifauna in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Turkey Vultures have also become a frequent though still uncommon sight on warm, sunny days in winter, and Acorn Woodpeckers colonies are widespread. We're still missing Nuttall's Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse, and California Towhee, at least for the time being.