[midvalleybirds] strange goings-on among oak birds

Lisa Millbank millbank.lisa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:22:24 PST 2019

We found two Sooty Grouse on last Saturday's CBC also, with one in a
somewhat unexpected habitat.  Both of them were on Davies Rd, which is
about 500' up the hillside from Soap Creek Rd.  While one of the grouse was
in some lightly thinned middle-aged forest, the other one was in an old
clearcut that has recently begun to fill in with young conifers.  That
slope sometimes has Mountain Quail calling in the spring, but it wasn't a
place I expected to find a Sooty Grouse.  My guess is that they are pickier
about where they nest than where they go to forage in the winter, so right
now they can probably be found anywhere that's within a reasonable distance
from good breeding habitat.  If they do spread out in the winter, that
could partially account for their scarcity on CBCs.  Even with multiple
teams scouring good habitat, they'll only be seen if crossing a road or if
startled into flight.

It's been my experience that Sooties can be heard fairly easily in some
parts of McDonald Forest when males are hooting in the springtime, and
Upper Dan's Trail is one of the more reliable spots to hear them.  It seems
unusual to have one hooting in early January in Soap Creek Valley; I would
never have guessed that they'd start up that early.  They'd certainly be a
lot easier to count if more of them would hoot during CBC season!

I've never heard a Ruffed Grouse "drumming" anywhere in McDonald Forest;
people do find them there, but there's only one eBird record since 2016.

Lisa Millbank