[midvalleybirds] strange goings-on among oak birds

Lars Norgren larspernorgren at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:00:16 PST 2019

QWashington Dept. Of F&W (I  don't know its official name) describes
considerable non-forest habitat for the blue grouse group, sage brush and
grass,etc.. on Memorial Day a few years back l heard two Sooty Grouse
hooting from the Fitten Green parking lot west of Corvallis. A closed
canopy of oaks, with taller,scattered grand firs . They were very close to
the cars. A species probably living in every count circle in western
Oregon, but almost never detected.
        The same statement can be made with greater certainty of Ruffed
Grouse. They live in riparian zones as well as forested uplands. One or
more is perhaps 100m from me right now as l drink coffee at home. I saw two
land in the yard a month ago at this time of day. I have seen them along
the driveway , a quarter mile long, in every month of the year. I have
probably made that drive 20,000 times in daylight since we moved in, but
see the Ruffed Grouse at most half a dozen times a year. The driveway forms
an arc from the mailbox to the house. When she rode the school bus home my
daughter would walk the chord of that arc and see a Ruffed Grouse, whom she
named Cocoa.
      I 'm at a loss what strategy will get either grouse detected
predictably on CBCs.lpn