[midvalleybirds] strange goings-on among oak birds

Mary Garrard springazure1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:58:45 PST 2019

Bev and I were accompanied by a former resident of Soap Creek, who lived in a house just opposite where we heard the grouse. Here’s what she said:  "Back in the day, we occasionally would see grouse in the woods above Soap Creek. At the time, we called them “blue” grouse, a name that seems to be discontinued in favor of Sooty or Dusky.”

Our team scoured the stands of oak along Soap Creek without locating Acorn Woodpecker, although they “should” be there somewhere…..we have had that territory previously but I don’t remember if we have ever had an Acorn.

I hike frequently in Mac Forest. I haven’t run into a Sooty Grouse previously but I will listen more carefully in the future (I’m usually hiking with friends and we are chattering, to the detriment of hearing bird vocalizations)!