[midvalleybirds] strange goings-on among oak birds

adamus7 at comcast.net adamus7 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 09:16:57 PST 2019

Perhaps equally odd was the discovery during the CBC of a Sooty Grouse "in
an island of mostly oaks with a couple of Doug firs, which was in the midst
of one of the OSU fields to the west of Soap Creek Road", not far from Pam
and Randy's sighting of a misplaced (?) Acorn Woodpecker.  The grouse was
detected "hooting" distinctively by Mary Garrard and Bev Clark.  That's only
the second time the species has been found in the 21 years of the
Airlie-Albany CBC despite miles of hiking and biking in McDonald and Dunn
Forests during the CBC every year.

Paul Adamus
Corvallis