[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Portland Audubon Birding Day to Baskett Slough & Ankeny NWR

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Tue Jan 8 06:29:01 PST 2019

From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 00:28:45 +0000

The 7 of us didn't exactly pick the best day yesterday as it was raining most of the time and the chilly breeze was rather unpleasant. We started the day at Baskett Slough. We could not find any of the recent rarities (Says's Phoebe, Mockingbird, Prairie Falcon), but we enjoyed 2-3 Northern Shrikes, a Rough-legged and Red-shouldered Hawks, a Black Phoebe, pipits and meadowlarks and an interesting possible Golden-crowned x White-throated Sparrow.
The highlight of the day were probably the unbelievable looks that we got of several Wrentits at the end of Shady Lane Rd west of Monmouth. And all that in the drizzle.

At Ryals Rd we were hoping for the Prairie Falcon at the powerline crossing, but had to "make do" with a Rough-legged Hawk.

We were only at Ankeny for a little while, but Pintail Marsh was fun. We found Hairy Woodpecker, over a dozen of Dunlin, Red-shouldered Hawk and a great candidate for Harlan's Hawk.

We concluded the day on Farmer Rd just outside Baskett Slough where we watched 3 Short-eared Owls rise and hunt just after sunset. A Rough-legged Hawk also stayed up really late there.

It was a fun day!

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, Oregon