[midvalleybirds] Duck aggression

Frank Kolwicz fhkolwicz1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:10:05 PST 2019

While spending quality time with my Hooded Merganser friends this
morning, about a half a dozen of them ganged-up on a male Mallard who
was poaching tadpoles in their territory. They spent about a minute
mobbing him, bumping and grabbing for the prize and also making
underwater attacks.

It was a bit exciting, but to no avail  as he finally downed the doomed
frog in becoming. I think that's only second time I've clearly seen a
Mallard eating a frog, the other time it was a fully formed one.

Shortly after that, some of larger flock trailed a small Nutria across
the pond, possibly for the same purpose. Gotta keep an eye on those
interlopers.

Frank
in Monmouth