[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Trumpeter Swans & Say's Phoebe north of Airlie (also a Eurasian G-w Teal along Bruce Rd at Finley)

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Mon Jan 7 08:18:59 PST 2019

The OBOL digest didn't come through this morning like it usually does, but I found this posting in the on-line archives.

I'm not quite sure if Roy (copied here) means that he saw a Townsend's Solitaire at the same location as the Say's Phoebe, or if he's humorously suggesting that the solitaire "turned into" a phoebe by the time he turned around. Birds will do that to you sometimes.

Directions along Airlie Rd are confusing because overall the road goes mostly east-west, but in this section the road runs close to north-south. If you can find the small town of Airlie, then the area to be looking for the swans and the phoebe (and maybe a solitaire?) would be the mile or so section of road starting from the north side of town just past the fire station, north/northwest to where Airlie Rd. goes over the Luckiamute River Bridge.

When Trumpeter Swans are using that field on the west side of Airlie Rd., sometimes it's easier or at least safer to view them with a scope from Tarter Rd. just south of there (wide gravel road with less traffic and less steep ditches on the side of the road).

[obol] Monmouth-Airlie Polk County Says Phoebe, Trumpeters 1/6/19

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 15:05:12 -0800

I looked for White-tailed Kites this morning along Priem Road near Airlie
where I saw a pair last year this time. I did not see any Kites, but had
an amazing few minutes of birding.

At the spot west of Monmouth where there was a Harris Sparrow a year ago,
there were no sparrows but a pretty RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was there, a new
location as far as I know

South, along Airlie Road, about 1/2 mile east of Tartar Rd I saw a slim
smaller than a Robin TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE. I turned around to get a better
look, and saw a SAY'S PHOEBE across the road from where the Solitaire had
gone

Just west there were 12 TRUMPETER SWANS in a grass field, near the
Luckiamute River bridge. No young birds or Tundra Swans with them

Along Priem Road was a beautiful ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK and no Kites

All this in a half hour or more, before noon today
Roy Gerig, Salem OR