[midvalleybirds] SALEM AUDUBON TUESDAY BIRDER'S NIGHT HAS MULTIPLE SPEAKERS

Eugenia Becker heronflight99 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 22:09:56 PST 2019

Birders’ Night – 6:30 PM, Tuesday, January 8, 2019

First United Methodist Church, 600 State Street, Salem – The Carrier Room

"Diversity is Key at Photo-Sharing Night"

Birder’s Night on Tuesday, January 8, will be our annual Photo-Sharing Night.  At this event, Salem Audubon Society members share their best birding pictures and experiences, giving us a potpourri of topics and images.  The program starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Carrier Room of the First United Methodist Church, 600 State Street, Salem.

The varied presentations will include:

“Warblers of Magee Marsh”:   Magee Marsh, located on the south shore of Lake Erie, is a primary stopover for North American warblers. As many as 37 species of warblers can be seen at Magee Marsh during the month of May, making it possibly the greatest concentration of warbler species in North America.  Tim Johnson, Salem Audubon Society treasurer and co-coordinator of the Salem Christmas Bird Count, has been birding for 28 years, including several stays at Magee Marsh to observe and record the warbler migration.  He will share some of the results of his warbler studies with us.

“Birds We Have Encountered throughout the Year”: Marcia and Gary Batten have been birding seriously for about 6 years now and are always amazed by what they see. Their presentation will show highlights of the birds they have photographed this past year while traveling in Oregon, Washington, and in Northern California.

“Turkey Paintings, Faulty Go Pros, and the Border Patrol”:  Tara Choate lives in Salem. She birds with her dog, when attending meetings around Oregon for work, and whenever art takes her to someplace new.  A local artist and casual photographer, she will tell us about her year of birding, including two new cameras, the occasional painting adventure, and being stopped by the border patrol in Arizona.

“The Fine Art of Birding”:  Mitch Rohse is a west Salem resident who spends an inordinate amount of time tramping around in the outdoors pursuing photos of birds and other wildlife.  Mitch says “For me, birding is most often an attempt to capture the natural beauty and grace of birds with my camera. I’m not always looking for new or unusual birds. Rather, I’m looking for good lighting, pleasant backgrounds, vibrant color, action, and unusual angles. With those elements, even a photo of an ordinary bird can yield an extraordinary image — an image we might dare to call “art."  You can see more of Mitch’s photos at his website:  justmynature.smugmug.com

Birder’s Night is a monthly program presented by Salem Audubon Society on the second Tuesday of each month from September through May.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Salem Audubon always appreciates donations to support its conservation, education and stewardship programs.  For more information, call the Audubon office at (503) 588-7340.