[birding] Three vireo species and a wannabe vireo at Luckiamute SNA

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Sep 20 13:21:43 PDT 2018

Today in Luckiamute State Natural Area I ran across Bill Proebsting at
the trailhead in the north unit. Bill mentioned that he'd seen an
apparent RED-EYED VIREO farther along the trail. There have been
detections of Red-eyed Vireos there fairly regularly since the beginning
of nesting season, so it might be one of those birds still hanging
around the nesting territory, rather than a migrant.

I didn't encounter Bill's vireo but I saw a couple of CASSIN'S VIREOS in
the ponderosa pines, then heard a HUTTON'S VIREO "singing" its simple
song.

I also saw my first LINCOLN'S SPARROW and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS of the
season, and inadvertently awoke a WESTERN SCREECH-OWL that called from
the gallery forest. I saw a couple of butterflies that looked like RED
ADMIRALS.

Back at the trailhead, I heard a vireo-like song up in the big-leaf
maples which are starting to turn color. Eventually I figured out that
it was a PURPLE FINCH.

Happy fall migration,