[birding] Finley NWR Stilt Sandpiper continues -- add an Avocet

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Sep 19 08:59:56 PDT 2018

According to eBird, as of this morning an American Avocet (in
non-breeding plumage) has joined the Stilt Sandpiper at Cabell Marsh.

Cabell Marsh seems to be the happening place for shorebirds in Benton
County right now!

For birders not familiar with how to get there, Cabell Marsh is
accessible via the Homer Campbell Memorial Boardwalk, off of the main
road through the refuge, near where it crosses Muddy Creek. There is
parking west of the trailhead next to the old farmhouse (which used to
serve as the HQ). There used to be another trail down to the marsh from
the south side of that house, but I'm not sure if it's still maintained.