[birding] Ferruginous Hawk near Baskett Slough NWR 14 Sep

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Sep 16 10:22:05 PDT 2018

Hi all,

A couple of birders visiting Oregon from Georgia (the state) sent me a
description that sounds very good for a subadult FERRUGINOUS HAWK.

They saw this bird along Coville Road just east of Baskett Slough NWR on
Friday, 14 Sep, initially perched at roadside (so good views of the legs
and cere proportions), then doing some hunting over the nearby pasture
and prairie restoration.

They questioned their identification because they noticed that this
species was listed as very rare, on the refuge checklist.

This location is about 8 miles SE of Ballston where I saw a juvenile
Ferruginous on 7 Sep, so this could be the same bird.