[birding] Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:03:29 PDT 2018

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Fred, Kay and I
were joined by 20 other birders.  The weather was very pleasant with partly
cloudy skies and temperatures between 47 and 58 degrees.  We made three
stops around the refuge with Pintail Marsh being the most productive.  Both
the Pintail-Egret Marsh Boardwalk and Rail Trail were quiet.  We identified
(saw or heard) 53 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

·      The sighting of the day was a *Semipalmated Sandpiper* at Pintail
Marsh.  From the parking lot it was just to the left side in the close
mudflat with some *Long-billed Dowitchers* and *Greater Yellowlegs*. There
was also one *Lesser Yellowlegs* in another group of shorebirds.  Speaking
of the yellowlegs…there were quite a few of them and they were very vocal;

·        Other water birds included *Least Sandpiper* (30), *American
Bittern* (5), *Great Egret* (9) and *Green Heron* (3);

·       We observed seven (7) species of raptors including *Northern
Harrier* (3), *Turkey Vulture* (9), *Osprey* (1), a *Red-shouldered Hawk*
(heard), *Red-tailed Hawk* (5), *American Kestrel* (3) and one *Cooper’s
Hawk*;

·     While walking along Egret Marsh we saw a *Black Phoebe*.  Once we
reached the parking lot again we saw a female *Belted Kingfisher* on one of
the sticks in Pintail Marsh.  Everyone got great looks at the kingfisher;

·       There were lots of *Cedar Waxwings* bouncing around the refuge.  We
saw at least two large flocks of waxwings.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS bird walk will be
the SAS-Shorts bird walk at *Cascades Gateway Park *on *Monday, September
24th at 9:00 a.m.*  Meet in the parking lot.  Our next regular bird walk
will be on *Tuesday, October 2nd* at Minto-Brown Island Park.  Meet at *8:00
AM* at Parking Lot # 3.  Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, Oregon

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for September 15, 2018*

*Number of Species: 53*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 7:00 AM

(2): Ankeny NWR--Pintail and Egret Marsh--Boardwalk and Blind @ 9:49 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR--Rail Trail @ 10:13 AM

15 Cackling Goose – (1)

47 Canada Goose -- (1)
2 Gadwall -- (1)
75 Mallard -- (1)
2 Northern Pintail -- (1)
2 Green-winged Teal -- (1)
20 California Quail -- (3)
7 Pied-billed Grebe -- (1)
6 Eurasian Collared-Dove – (2)(3)
4 Mourning Dove -- (1)
4 American Coot -- (1)
3 Killdeer -- (1)
30 Least Sandpiper -- (1)
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper -- (1)
57 Long-billed Dowitcher -- (1)
24 Greater Yellowlegs -- (1)
1 Lesser Yellowlegs -- (1)
5 American Bittern -- (1)
8 Great Blue Heron -- (1),(2)
9 Great Egret -- (1)
3 Green Heron -- (1)
9 Turkey Vulture -- (1),(2),(3)

1 Osprey – (2) Fly-by
3 Northern Harrier -- (1),(2)

1 Cooper’s Hawk – (3)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (1)
5 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1),(2),(3)
1 Belted Kingfisher -- (1)
3 Downy Woodpecker -- (1)
5 Northern Flicker -- (1),(2),(3)
3 American Kestrel -- (1),(3)
3 Western Wood-Pewee -- (1),(2)
1 Black Phoebe -- (1)
2 California Scrub-Jay -- (2),(3)
2 Violet-green Swallow -- (1)
103 Barn Swallow -- (1),(3)
17 Black-capped Chickadee -- (1),(2),(3)
20 Bushtit -- (1)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (3)
1 Brown Creeper -- (3)
7 Marsh Wren -- (1)