[birding] SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:53:04 PDT 2018

*SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report*

Hello all -

Fred and Kay scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem Audubon
birding field trip on *Saturday, September 15th at 7:00 a.m.*  The weather
was overcast – cloudy with temperatures ranging from 59 degrees to 65
degrees.  They observed (seen or heard) 52 species.

Most notable identifications:

·  One of the best observations was a *Cassin’s Vireo*;

·  There were eight species of ducks including *Mallard*, *Green-winged
Teal*, *Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, Gadwall,
Cinnamon Teal and Wood Duck*;

·   The warblers are starting to wane as there were only *Common
Yellowthroat* (3) and *Yellow Warbler* (1).

·   Some of the shorebirds observed included *Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs*,
*Killdeer, Least Sandpiper,* *Wilson’s Snipe,* *Green Heron *as well as
some *Long-billed Dowitchers*.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS field trip will be
at *Ankeny NWR* on *Saturday, September 15th at 7:00 a.m.*  Meet at the
Pintail Marsh parking lot.  This is the last time we will be able to go
into the interior of the refuge because it closes on October 1st.  Our next
SAS Shorts bird walk will be at *Cascades Gateway Park* on *Monday,
September 24th at 9:00 a.m.*  Meet in the parking lot.

*Note:*  We have an *Owls of the Pacific Northwest workshop* coming up
on *October
6th at 10:00 AM.*  It will be held at the ODFW, 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr
SE in Salem.  The cost for the workshop is *only $10*.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for September 8, 2018*

Number of Species: 52

15 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)

2 Wood Duck

6 Cinnamon Teal