[birding] Re: Ankeny NWR Northern Goshawk again

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Sep 6 05:47:19 PDT 2018

Hi Roy and all,

Though those involved have mostly kept quiet about locations, due to the
very real risk of disturbance to Northern Goshawks around nesting sites,
there is strong evidence that a pair nested within a 15 mile radius of
Ankeny NWR in 2015. This included an adult hunting around meadows in
late June, then a begging juvenile accompanied by a less well-seen bird
in late July, and then two immature birds in August, all within about an
area of about 25-30 square miles.

There were indications of continued presence in the same general area
during nesting season, both last year and this year (possibly also in
2016). I don't know how long goshawks live but assuming that their life
span is similar to Red-tailed Hawks, it could well be the same pair
continuing to nest in the area.

About the weather, things are definitely dry out there. Even the
grasshoppers are looking thirsty. We did finally get a bit of rain at
our place one night last week but it was just enough to leave about two
teaspoons of water in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket that I had left
out in the yard. That was one of those passing showers so it may have
missed Ankeny.

Happy late-summer birding,
Joel