[birding] ASC field trip, September 8

William and Lena Proebsting proebstw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:01:43 PDT 2018

Plan to go to Bald Hill this Saturday, September 8. Meet 0730 at the north
end of the Benton Center parking lot, 757 NW Polk, to form carpools from
there. Alternatively, meet at the Oak Creek parking lot about 0745.
  We will walk the loop formed by the paved bike path, beginning of the Oak
Savanna trail, then looping through Bald Hill Farm and back along Oak
Creek. About a mile (and a half), almost flat, good footing. Bring water
and a hat, besides binoculars. Probably finish on the early side.
  We will be looking mainly for mixed flocks of migrants. Warblers, vireos,
tanagers, flycatchers, sparrows, etc. Seems unlikely to find Vesper Sparrow
this year, but Chipping Sparrows have often been around of late.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet this morning. Very smart looking in fresh plumage. I
have encountered Virginia Rail twice in the last couple of weeks.
Red-shouldered Hawk is often encountered.
Bill Proebsting
Corvallis