[birding] Benton County Brewer's Sparrow, Townsend's Solitaire.

Nancy Stotz nstotznew at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 13:57:28 PDT 2018

Had what I am 95% positive  was a Brewer's Sparrow coming back from a hike
along Dunn Forest Road 100 off of Tampico Road north of Corvallis a little
after noon today (directions to site appear at end of message). Initially
it was perched above us and the very pale impression, with a weak face
pattern and complete white eyering screamed Brewers to me. As I was
lamenting the back lighting and poor viewing angle and wishing it would
come down lower, it complied, and landed in a shrub at eye level. It didn't
stay there long, but I got a handful of photos, and though there's a little
more color to the crown than I would like to see, I'm still sticking with
Brewers. Best photos posted to checklist here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48248096

Earlier on the hike, we got a great, albeit quick view of a Townsend's
Solitaire (too quick for photos). Full checklist (no photos) here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48247836

Nancy Stotz
Directions to Road 100, sighting locations: From Walnut Dr in north
Corvallis, drive north on Hwy 99 six miles and turn west on Tampico Road.
Road 100 goes south off of Tampico 5 miles west of Hwy 99, in an area with
pastures at the base of a gentle hill before you get to the Berry Creek
crossing. A few cars can park near the gate blocking the road there. The
Brewer's Sparrow was with a small flock of Chippers less than a quarter of
a mile up Road 100 (just past a stream crossing, when the vegetation opens
up on both sides of the trail). The Townsend's Solitaire was in a
recovering clear cut a few miles up the road, beyond its intersection with
roads 140 and 190, just beyond where road 160 angles off to the right.