[birding] RE: [obol] Eicher Rd Quarry (Linn County) Access Question - RT Loon, Redhead continue

tom at barbless.com tom at barbless.com
Sat Mar 31 18:25:58 PDT 2018

Hi All,

As I mentioned in my 12/9/2017 eBird report, I was scoping from the mid-east berm when an older gentleman stopped his pickup truck mid-road, turned his engine off, and firmly asked what I was doing. I was pretty quick to say “I’m birding… (long uh-oh pause)… are you the landowner?”, and he said “yes”, and when I asked if it was ok for people to bird here, he said he didn’t mind that. He did tell me that he was still upset that some hunters that had left trash earlier in the day, and that he often has to deal with trash and ill behaviors.

After he drove off, and left me to bird more, I spent an hour picking up a lot of garbage, including some things that struck me as drug paraphernalia. It was sad.

During my 25+ years as a fly fisher in Montana and Oregon, I’ve had many cordial to some hostile encounters with landowners over stream access. As the world fills up with people, I appreciate that landowners struggle to allow access and yet deal with the crap that often happens. I’ve seen landowners ok with very occasional access, but as things become too popular, they feel compelled to cut things off. Specific to the quarry, I’ve heard one second-hand story, and I suspect others based on reports, of birders viewing birds in and around the residences, which IMHO is dicey.

IF Knife River owns the Quarry, and no accommodation can be made for birders, I would hope that they could post no trespassing signs.

--tg