[birding] Eicher Rd Quarry (Linn County) Access Question - RT Loon, Redhead continue

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sat Mar 31 17:32:41 PDT 2018

Hi Jenna & All,

Thanks for sharing your sighting of the Red-throated Loon, and other
birds that will be interesting for local birders. I'm also glad that you
raised the question about access, as several of us have been wondering
if the numerous reports from there were really legal. I've held off on
sharing most such sightings with the midvalley list, due to those
qualms.

Someone (I forget who, but it should be in the midvalley and/or OBOL
list archives) recently posted an account of an encounter with a
purported landowner at this location. As I recall, the purported
landowner complained about hunters who had left trash there, and the
birder tried to do a good deed by picking up some of the trash that he
saw.

Which seemed like a good thing to me. Except that in rural Oregon (and
rural elsewhere), sometimes people who claim to be landowners are not
necessarily such. They might just be neighbors who have a sense of
ownership, or (understandably) might be fibbing a bit out of good
motivation, to try to reduce undesirable activity in their neighborhood.

To get at the truth in these situations, sometimes you need to go to the
county assessor's office, and look at the lot maps and tax records to
see who is the real owner. A lot of this stuff is on-line nowadays, for
most Oregon counties, but it's still a fair amount of work to do a
property search, and it would be good if there were a way to share this
with other birders who might be wondering.

Unfortunately eBird still doesn't have a good way to post information
about ownership and access rules, even for designated "hotspots" like
this.

So the main alternative options are the "birding site guide" pages in
the BirdNotes database www.birdnotes.net (which are set up as a "wiki"
allowing birders to add their own notes), and Chuck Gates' "Birding
Oregon" website (hosted by East Cascades Audubon) at:
http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations
I know Chuck is very committed to maintaining this, and he always
appreciates input. Right now the Eicher Rd. quarry is missing from the
list of Linn County locations. So perhaps someone who goes there
regularly could send Chuck a brief description of the site, and the
results of any research on ownership/access permission.

Good birding,
Joel