[obol] [birding] orange-crowned plus

Lars Per Norgren larspernorgren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:57:40 PDT 2018

*

   We have had up to three territorial birds converging at our driveway, and the kids dubbed it the “most boring bird song in the world.” I’ve often described its plumage as “as charismatic as the American dollar” —all grundgey greens or grays, it’s futile to attempt a distinction. It may be the species I love the most, iconic of the sub-tropical taiga that constitutes most of west Oregon’s forests. Look at the range map of Spotted Owl, and Band-tailed Pigeon, compare it to the range of the Hutton’s Vireo. Plant hardiness zones follow a similar pattern.lpn