[birding] Greater Yellowlegs concentration at Herbert Open Space

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Mar 27 13:28:15 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Rana Foster mentioned seeing a flock of about 100 LEAST SANDPIPERS
yesterday at Herbert Farm Open Space just south of Corvallis. When I
went by there this morning around 11 am, I couldn't spot any small
sandpipers, but 50 to 55 GREATER YELLOWLEGS were spread out across a
section of field where water has ponded, along with various ducks. I
looked through the yellowlegs for Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpipers
etc. but I think all of them were Greater Yellowlegs.

I didn't pay much attention to the ducks but they seemed to be mostly
Pintails, a few Mallards and Green-winged Teal, and a couple of Gadwall.

I heard a few AMERICAN PIPITS calling in flight, and two VARIED THRUSHES
were singing from conifers on private land just north of the Open Space
(city) property. A couple of KILLDEER along the gravel access road were
acting like they might be in nesting mode.

Herbert Farm Open Space is at the end of Herbert Rd., on the west side
of Hwy 99W as you head south from Corvallis, about a half mile before
Airport Rd. The gravel road is full of potholes, several of which have
grown to almost the full width of the road. If you manage to get past
those, after you pass the kiosk you can easily scan the wet field area
on the south side of the road. There's a lot of water and very exposed
mud there, so this should be a good spot as shorebird migration
continues.

Good birding,