[birding] Chipping Sparrow and new bluebird pair

Marcia F. Cutler marciafcutler at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 10:57:39 PDT 2018

When I was a very beginning birder and living in the northern edge of Eugene, I noticed the same segregation of crowned sparrows at this one woody, undeveloped property I passed during my neighborhood walks. They each frequented just one edge of this wooded property. I was curious about this and eventually noticed that there was a slight difference in the habitat - the side favored by Golden-crowneds had larger bramble patches next to it, while the side favored by the White-crowneds had an open grass field next to it.
I still see that dichotomy. For instance, the Midge Cramer Trail is in my CBC area. I start at the parking lot off Reservoir Rd. The large bramble patches along the first part of the trail are good for Golden-crowneds (and Lincoln’s, Towhees, Song and Fox Sparrows). Where the path turns eastward towards the fairgrounds, White-Crowneds start showing up, going between the grass fields on the north side of the trail and the brushes and small trees on the south side. Golden-crowneds can be found in these brushes/trees, but mostly where there are large bramble patches further back.

Marcia F. Cutler
Corvallis