[birding] Owl calls

Shawn & Paul Jacobsen spjacobsens at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:05:11 PDT 2018

Over the last months as I would go out before dawn for the morning paper I would almost always hear a Great Horned Owl hooting, sometimes near, sometimes far, but always in the same general location.  This last week I am now hearing a Western Screech Owl (the bouncing ball call, unless I have the wrong owl) calling from that area,  but I haven't heard the Great Horned during that time.

Does the Great Horned Owl migrate away in the spring, with Western Screech Owl then moving in?  I would be interested in knowing.

Thanks, Paul
Out past Bald Hill, Corvallis