[birding] Kites, swans, and Lewis's Woodpecker south of Monmouth

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Mar 19 07:59:40 PDT 2018

[Zumwalt Rd is off of Elkins Rd, a few miles south of Monmouth, then
west a couple miles. Maple Grove Rd. and Priem Rds. are off of Airlie
Rd. a couple miles north of Airlie.]

From: Caleb Centanni <caleb at centanni.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:01:56 -0700
Subject: [obol] Airlie and Maple Grove this afternoon

Hi all,
Following Bill and Roy's sightings, my mom and I drove our normal Airlie
course this afternoon. On Airlie [Rd] near Simpson was a single
Trumpeter and two Tundra Swans, as Roy reported. A Rough-legged Hawk and
one, possibly two distant WHITE-TAILED KITES were visible from Priem and
Maple Grove Roads. West of Maple Grove [Rd.] was the aforementioned
leucistic Red-tail and a Merlin in the location marked "Lewisville" on
Google Maps.

We then drove up Zumwalt Road and found one LEWIS'S WOODPECKER remaining
from the winter.

On a side note, Violet-green Swallows were in Independence Wednesday,
and good numbers of Rufous Hummers have been visiting our feeder since
last weekend. Spring is here!

Good birding,
Caleb Centanni