[birding] Re: Finley Kite

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sat Mar 17 17:33:49 PDT 2018

Hi Steve & All,

There have still been a few reports of a kite at the North Prairie over
look at Finley NWR  on eBird in the past week.

Your experience of going 0 for 7 is similar to mine at that location
over the years. Often you can go there and see nothing (or at least, no
kites), because there's a vast amount of similar habitat farther out
(south) on the prairie, and most of it is out of range from the
overlook.

In past years, observers have noticed a regular daily pattern of kite
movements there, so there may be better and worse times of day to look.
Mid- to late afternoon can sometimes be better than morning hours.

Best of luck,
Joel

P.S. For Mid-Valley birders who don't follow OBOL, I see that Roy Gerig
found a couple of kites on Priem Rd. (off of Airlie Rd in the Maple
Grove area) today. This is another traditional location for kites in
this area (there was suspicion of a pair nesting there back in the early
2000s) but I think it's been some years since that location produced a
report.