[birding] Rufous visits the shop vac

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Mar 15 08:22:22 PDT 2018

Fun posting, Lisa!

This reminds me of the various times when I've had hummingbirds fly
right up to me while I was wearing a red or orange shirt.

A National Geographic magazine editor, in an interview some years back,
acknowledged that they practiced what they called "red shirt
journalism": No matter where they went in the world, they'd make sure
that some of the photographic subjects were wearing red, as this would
draw readers' eyes to the photos. Maybe we're not so different from
hummingbirds, in this respect!

We haven't seen a Rufous Hummingbird at our place yet, but the
red-flowering currants are waiting for them.

Joel