[birding] FOY vulture, hummer @ Peoria (riverside, Linn)

Greg Metcalfe greg.a.metcalfe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:58:44 PDT 2018

34 species from the upper yard this morning. Without a trip into the
bottomland, that's a fair number for this time of year. Especially as
there was a Cooper's Hawk perched and watching the beach for most of
the count, and (briefly) a FOM N. Harrier in a bank-side alder. A
couple of expected sparrows (White-crowned, White-throated) weren't
found, likely due to the hawks (especially COHA) keeping a damper on
the sunflower feeder activity.

Notable birds were the FOM harrier, FOY Rufous Hummingbird (near a
Flowering Quince that they love) and Turkey Vulture (2, suspect 3),
and a FOY Pileated Woodpecker. I find a Pileated pretty much every
year, but usually only once or twice, and this was the first March
record. So that was a nicer bird for me than one might expect.

Also, Tree Swallow have only been seen overhead, in ones and twos.
Three this morning, lower over the river and beach, in the vicinity of
several nest boxes maintained by a neighbor.

A very Springified morning. Springified is of course not a word, but
it should be.