[birding] Fwd: Livermore Rd. longspurs, Keizer shrike, Salem Sabine's Gull

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Apr 3 08:57:30 PDT 2018

This is the same location where Nancy Stotz previously reported Lapland
Longspurs. A follow-up report by other birders later yesterday suggested
that as many as 15 might be there. The area to look is 1.3 to 1.5 miles
s. of the north end of Livermore Rd.

The land on both sides of Livermore Rd is private. Please be aware of
farm equipment and, if you stop to scan for birds, make sure to pull
over to the side so the operators can get past you.

This is one of the more important known nesting areas for the  endemic
"Streaked" Horned Larks in the Willamette Valley (listed as Threatened
under the Endangered Species Act, and probably really should be listed
as "Endangered"; the Center for Biological Diversity has recently filed
a lawsuit to that effect).

The males have already begun to stake out territories at several
locations right along this road. Eventual nests could well be within a
few feet of the edge of the road. So please drive slowly on Livermore
Rd. at all times of the year. If you see larks, please minimize
disturbance by watching from your car, rather than trying to approach
them on foot.

Thanks,
Joel