[birding] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:11:54 PDT 2018

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

Fred and I led the SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk on Monday morning.
We were joined by 11 other birders.  It was a cold morning for April with
temperatures that ranged from 38 degrees to 43 degrees with some wind.  It
was cloudy with some isolated blue skies and a rain shower hit about an
hour into the walk.  We walked about 4.5 miles as we covered the east side
of the park including the North Basin Conservation Area.  The bird activity
was slow at the start but picked up as the morning progressed.  We observed
(saw or heard) 43 species.

The highlights were as follows:

·         We saw seven (7) sparrow species but despite our attempts we did
not see the *Swamp Sparrow* that was seen late last week in the North Basin
Conservation Area.  We did see a *Lincoln’s Sparrow* and *White-throated
Sparrow*.  The Lincoln’s Sparrow was along the pathway to the North Basin
area.  The White-throated Sparrow was on the south side of parking lot #3
with a mixed flock of other sparrows.

·         We saw seven (7) raptors including an adult *Bald Eagle* over the
river, three *Osprey*, several *Turkey Vultures*, a *Sharp-shinned Hawk, *a*
Northern Harrier* and two *Red-tailed Hawks*.

·         We only observed two species of woodpeckers including *Downy
Woodpecker *and* Northern Flicker*;

·         We saw 12 *California Quail* around Parking Lot #3;

·         The birds of the day were the *Red-winged Blackbird* (60) with
most of them being female blackbirds and *Golden-crowned Sparrows* (51); and

·         Other sightings included a *Hermit Thrush *and a* Chestnut-backed
Chickadee.* .

The next field trip is the *Ankeny NWR field trip* on *Sunday, April 22nd
at 7:00 AM.*  Meet at the Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Rd.  The next *SAS
Shorts* is at *Fairview Wetlands *on *Monday, April 30th at 5:30 PM.*  Meet
at the ODFW parking lot located at 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. SE in Salem.
Please join us if you can.

*Note:*  We have a *Hummingbirds of the U.S.* workshop on Saturday, April
14th from 10:00 AM to 12 noon.  The workshop is held at the ODFW Classroom
located at 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. SE in Salem.  The cost is only $10
per person.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for April 2, 2018*

*Identified Species: 43*

6 Canada Goose
17 Mallard
3 Green-winged Teal