[birding] E.E. Wilson siskins, pipits, and sparrows

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Oct 23 12:07:18 PDT 2017

Hi all,

This morning in the south end of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area, a flock of
about 80 PINE SISKINS was flying around and foraging.

They spent time foraging both in some sunflower plantings and in a stand
of willowherb (Epilobium sp.) that sprouted up from the native seed
bank, after fast-growing cherry and hazelnut trees and brush were
cleared from a prairie/oak savanna remnant last year.

I looked them over carefully with the idea of Common Redpolls in mind,
but all but one seemed to be siskins. The odd bird in the flock was an
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH in winter plumage.

There are now good numbers of sparrows in the area including SONG, SOOTY
FOX, GOLDEN-CROWNED, and LINCOLN'S SPARROWS plus JUNCOS. I haven't
managed to find any Swamp Sparrows or White-throated Sparrows yet this
fall.

CALIFORNIA GROUND SQUIRRELS are still active. I saw one very small
whitish butterfly.

There are quite a few hunters on the wildlife area now so it's a good
idea to wear orange if you go there.