[birding] Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 15:47:47 PDT 2017

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Fred, Kay and I
were joined by nine (9) other birders.  The 12 of us were met with a cool
but dry morning.  The temperature at the start was 38 degrees and it was 55
degrees at the finish.  We made seven stops around the refuge including the
Overlook, Eagle Marsh and Pintail Marsh.  It was a wonderful birding day as
we identified (saw or heard) 62 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

-         It was a nice day for raptors.  We saw a *Peregrine Falcon* at
Pintail Marsh and heard a *Red-shouldered Hawk* at the Rail Trail.  There
were three (3) *Red-tailed Hawks, *several *Northern Harriers *as well as an*
American Kestrel*.  We also saw two *Sharp-shinned Hawks* and a *Cooper’s
Hawk*.

-         There were quite a few ducks at Pintail Marsh including a total
of eight duck species.  We saw *Northern Pintails, Green-winged Teal,
Cinnamon Teal, Mallards*,  *Northern Shovelers*, *American Wigeon*,
*Ring-necked
Ducks and Lesser Scaup*.

-         It was nice to get good looks at two *Red-breasted Sapsuckers* at
Acorn Woodpecker corner and the Rail Trail.

- Other sightings included six *Greater White-fronted Geese*, two *American
Bittern* at Pintail Marsh, a *Chestnut-backed Chickadee* at the
Pintail-Egret Marsh Boardwalk and a *Black Phoebe* at Eagle Marsh despite
there being no water in the marsh.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS field trip will be
the *Brown’s Ferry Park* field trip on *Thursday, October 26th at 8:30 a.m.*
Meet at the Airport Road Park and Ride, as the Kmart lot we have used for
years is no longer available. The park and ride is located on the east side
of Airport Road, between Mission and State Streets, next to the State Motor
Pool and just south of the bridge over Mill Creek. To reach the park and
ride from Kmart, go east on Mission Street to Airport Road (the first
stoplight east of 25th Street) and turn left. Follow Airport Road north one
block to the park and ride. Note that there are no restrooms at this site.
Our *Minto-Brown Island Park* field trip will be on *Sunday, November 5th
at 8:00 a.m.*   Meet in parking lot #3.  Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for October 15, 2017*

*Number of Species: 62*

*Checklists included in this summary: 7*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Ankeny Hill Overlook @ 7:52 AM
(2): Corner of Ankeny Hill Road and Liberty Rd. @ 8:17 AM
(3): First pullout on north side of Buena Vista Road @ 8:55 AM
(4): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 9:05 AM
(5): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 9:43 AM
(6): Ankeny NWR--Pintail and Egret Marsh--Boardwalk and Blind @ 10:14 AM
(7): Ankeny NWR--Rail Trail @ 11:09 AM

6 Greater White-fronted Goose -- (5)
4525 Cackling Goose -- (1),(2),(3),(5),(6)
7 Canada Goose -- (6)
20 Cinnamon Teal -- (5)
6 Northern Shoveler -- (5)
2 American Wigeon -- (5)
50 Mallard -- (5)
24 Northern Pintail -- (5)
20 Green-winged Teal -- (5)
20 Ring-necked Duck -- (5)
2 Lesser Scaup -- (5)
1 Pied-billed Grebe -- (5)
2 American Bittern -- (5)
1 Great Blue Heron -- (3)
4 Northern Harrier -- (1),(2),(5)
2 Sharp-shinned Hawk -- (6)(7)
1 Cooper's Hawk -- (2)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (7)
3 Red-tailed Hawk -- (2),(5),(7)
50 American Coot -- (5)
5 Killdeer -- (1),(2),(5)
1 Mourning Dove -- (5)
5 Acorn Woodpecker -- (2)
2 Red-breasted Sapsucker -- (2),(7)
4 Downy Woodpecker -- (2)
8 Northern Flicker -- (1),(2),(4),(7)
1 American Kestrel -- (1)
1 Peregrine Falcon -- (5)
1 Black Phoebe -- (4)
4 California Scrub-Jay -- (2),(7)
3 American Crow -- (2),(6)
5 Violet-green Swallow -- (5)
50 Barn Swallow -- (5)
17 Black-capped Chickadee -- (2),(4),(6),(7)
1 Chestnut-backed Chickadee -- (6)
5 Bushtit -- (6)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (2)
6 Brown Creeper -- (6),(7)
2 Pacific Wren -- (6)
1 Marsh Wren -- (4)
3 Bewick's Wren -- (6),(7)
4 Golden-crowned Kinglet -- (6),(7)
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- (6)
6 American Robin -- (1),(7)
2 Varied Thrush -- (2),(7)
17 European Starling -- (1),(2)
6 American Pipit -- (7)
15 Cedar Waxwing -- (2)
5 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (4)
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) -- (4)
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) -- (4)
6 Fox Sparrow (Sooty) -- (2),(4),(6),(7)
1 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) -- (7)
1 White-crowned Sparrow -- (4)
5 Golden-crowned Sparrow -- (4),(5),(7)
6 Savannah Sparrow -- (4)