[birding] First of the Year Rough-legged

Paul Rentz prentz2 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 15:42:07 PDT 2017

While at Finley Monday I spotted my 'first of the year' Rough-legged Hawk
that I have a suspicion is 'Chip', the dark morph Rough-legged Hawk with the
white patch on the head. The Rough-legged flew by right after a Red tail
made a close flyby. Also spotted was a Downy Woodpecker, a Bobcat (juvenile
I think) and a broken Wood Duck box, which someone told me is what too many
of them look like right now. Although I've only seen them used by owls I
certainly heard many more Wood Ducks off Homer Campbell last year than at
any other time. Many ducks and geese are returning now too, with a quick
stop at the Poo Ponds showed Mallards, Ring-necked, Shovelers, a few
Pintails, Gadwalls and I'm sure others as well, and some Coots. I'm seeing
both Cacklers and Dusky fly over now too.

I should also note that while watching the Bobcat from near the blind off
Cabell Marsh disappear down the dike trail towards Cabell Lodge I watched an
American Bittern fly over (after the Bobcat left) from the marshy areas into
a dry area on the other side of the walk. That's the latest I've seen a
Bittern into the fall. Some photos at
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1378455142252074
<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1378455142252074&type=3> &type=3

Sincerely,