[birding] When you see an old-growth forest species on a powerline in the middle of grass fields ...

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun May 14 11:55:44 PDT 2017

... you have to figure, migration must be in full swing!

Such was my experience this morning. An Olive-sided Flycatcher was
perched on a wire along Robison Rd. near the intersection with Wiles
Rd., just south of the Benton/Polk County line.

Normally when driving along this part of Robison Rd., I'm hoping to see
a Mountain Bluebird on that wire, since Roy Gerig has found them there 2
or 3 times. More typical birds to see there include American Kestrels,
Savannah Sparrows, and (in years past) Streaked Horned Larks.

But this is that time of year when Olive-sided Flycatchers can show up
in strange places.