[birding] Swans near Maple Grove (southern Polk Co.)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Feb 5 18:01:18 PST 2017

Hi all,

Daughter Martha and I went out to survey local flooding this afternoon,
watching for birds along the way. It's always fun to get out during the
Super Bowl, when roads are nearly deserted.

Most birds were hunkered down but waterfowl were having a field day
(literally). Along with various ducks & geese we saw 15 SWANS just north
of the intersection of Maple Grove Rd. and Airlie Rd. It was hard to be
sure given the distance, but at least a few and probably all of them
appeared to be trumpeter Swans, including one still-dusky juvenile.

A ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was in the same area, along Priem Rd. We were
impressed by how the hawk perched on very small twigs at the top of a
fence-line tree, compared with the more substantial perches that a
Red-tailed Hawk would normally use. This is often a good way of spotting
Rough-legged Hawks at a distance.

Happy wet-weather birding,