[birding] rats

Linda Fink linda at fink.com
Wed Dec 6 17:59:34 PST 2017

My experience with trapping rats is you'll get the first couple, then
the others get trap smart. Changing where you put the traps might help
some. I gave up trapping when I caught a song sparrow in one.

Fortunately, we have few rats although they do occasionally move into
the chicken house. Johnny shoots them. Guess you can't do that in town.

The ground feeding birds keep the seed cleaned up under the feeders so
we don't have rats there. That includes our guinea hen who leaves no
seed uneaten. She will also attack anything small that moves so maybe
that's another reason we don't have rats there. She herds the quail
around, too, but they've learned how to avoid her.

And we have resident Barn Owls, but they seem to prefer meadow voles.

Linda in SW Yamhill County