[birding] Peregrine/Cooper's altercation near EE Wilson Wildlife Area

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Sep 25 11:09:30 PDT 2016

Hi all,

About half an hour ago while working in our veggie garden with my
binoculars handy, I noticed a COOPER'S HAWK gliding southbound over the
conifers on Tampico Ridge. As I turned back to the garden, I heard a
loud series of "ki-ki-ki..." calls like Cooper's Hawks sometimes when
they're alarmed around a nest.

The sound came from lower down in the conifers. I got my binoculars on
the spot just in time to see a large accipiter fly into the forest. Then
I noticed another bird flying up from the same area, which turned out to
be an immature PEREGRINE FALCON.

The falcon made several broad loops overhead, and eventually excreted a
glob of white-ish fecal matter that split into separate streamers as it
fell toward earth. As much as it would be really cool to be able to
claim Peregrine Falcon on my list of "bird species whose poop has landed
in our yard," I'll have to leave that honor to our neighbors.