[birding] Re: [MidValleyNature:3876] Re: Possible winter wren on Finley

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Dec 28 19:18:23 PST 2016

Hi Jim & all,

Birders working from references more than a couple of years old might
understandably be puzzled by this thread.

A couple of years ago, the American Ornithological Union (or AOU, the
organization that decides on the "Checklist of North American Birds"
that most American birders go by) decided that there was compelling
enough scientific evidence to "split" the species that we formerly knew
as "Winter Wren," into three separate species:

Pacific Wren (the type that occurs normally in our region),
Winter Wren (the type that occurs normally in eastern North America),
Eurasian Wren (the type that occurs in Eurasia).

The AOU's decision to assign the previous name "Winter Wren" to the
eastern North American species was unfortunate in my view, as it was
bound to create this type of confusion.

What Howard was enthused about, I'm guessing, was the possibility of
finding one of the eastern birds. They should be noticeably grayer than
our brownish western birds, and the call notes and songs are also
supposed to be distinguishable to the trained ear.