[birding] Sparrow ID and Philomath Ponds this morning

Pam Otley pamo1954 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 14:15:48 PDT 2015

HI all,

I visited the Philomath ponds this morning and saw the continuing
Long-tailed Duck in the nw pond. It seemed to stay with a group of
Buffleheads and Scaups.
There was also a Black-bellied Plover on the east side of the nw pond. Other
birds of interest were 2 Peregrine Falcons in a tree along the entry road,
2 Bald Eagles, 2 Horned Grebes and a Dunlin.

Now, to the sparrow.  Looking south of the sw corner of the south pond, I
looked down at the road where some seed has been spread. It was quite
active with Golden-crowned and Song Sparrows, Juncos, Spotted Towhees, and
House Finches. One sparrow caught my eye with its brown head stripes. It
had a line back from the eye, a "malar" stripe  pale lores, plain breast
and belly (no streaks). I am thinking it might be a Clay-colored Sparrow or
Chipping Sparrow.
Looking at other photos, it seems that Chipping has dark lores.

Here are some photos - 5 of sparrow, then some of other birds I saw this
morning.
I would appreciate any input on the sparrow ID, please!

https://flic.kr/p/AdNrPu

Happy birding,

Pam Otley