[birding] E.E. Wilson Swamp/White-throated Sparrows, Hermit Thrush, dusky-capped "flycatchers"

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Oct 28 15:11:11 PDT 2015

Hi all,

During a dog walk around the southwest part of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area
this afternoon, I found a nice diversity of wintering sparrows including
one SWAMP SPARROW and a couple of WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS.

The White-throated Sparrows were close to the prairie remnant that
volunteers will remember from this summer/fall (within about 15 feet of
our biggest brush pile), along the south boundary of the wildlife area
south of the big oak grove.

The Swamp Sparrow was down the hill from there, just south of where the
road that comes in from Frontage Rd. crosses the central wetlands, on
the west side of the wetland and then a dozen or so paces south. It
called a couple of times from a thicket around a crabapple tree, but I
didn't succeed in pishing it up for a look.

Earlier on the walk, near the skeet range, I saw a HERMIT THRUSH hop out
onto the road.

In the same area a bunch of OREGON JUNCOS were fluttering out from the
bushes to catch flying insects. Noting their dusky hoods and considering
all the recent excitement over unusual "Myiarchus" flycatchers in
western Oregon, it seemed right to record them as "dusky-capped
flycatchers."

P.S. Hunting season is in full swing now so wear orange if you go out
there.