[birding] Luckiamute SNA "woodpecker loop, " sparrows and prairie work party time shift

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Oct 28 07:50:02 PDT 2015

Hi again,

Yesterday while walking the dog around the loop in Luckiamute State
Natural Area's north unit (Luckiamute Landing), I came across a PILEATED
WOODPECKER that was working on a big dead snag, on the northeast edge of
the loop (south edge of the gallery forest). Further along I also
encountered a HAIRY WOODPECKER, a NORTHERN FLICKER, and a DOWNY
WOODPECKER. Where the loop finished back at the parking area, there was
a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER (as usual, for some reason there always seem to
be 1 or 2 around the parking area, all year round).

Too bad the name "Woodpecker Loop" is already taken, since this loop
trail would be another good candidate.But it's also good for sparrows.

The low brushy area on the NW side of the loop (a backwater slough of
the Luckiamute River, which used to be full of reed canary-grass but has
been replanted with a wide variety of native shrubs, continues to be a
good sparrow spot. Yesterday at least three WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS were
in this patch, along with dozens of more common wintering sparrows and
juncos. I probably missed a few since it's hard to hold binoculars
steady while hanging onto an energetic young dog.

For birders who'd like to help with another one of the sparrow habitat
types along this loop, the regular Friday work parties (working to
restore a 3-acre patch of native prairie vegetation near the trailhead
where Vesper Sparrows nested through 2004 or so) have resumed in a new
time slot, 10 AM to noon. Please contact me if you're interested.