[birding] This morning

Marcia F. Cutler marciafcutler at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 20:24:03 PDT 2015

Yesterday, while showing some friends the American Pipits on DeArmond Rd. in southern Polk County, we also saw a Rough-legged Hawk putting on a hovering show right about at the Benton-Polk boundary near the south end of DeArmond. It was a ways out, but my suspicions were aroused by the continual hovering between short flights by a large hawk - generally a good indication that it may be a Rough-legged Hawk. The fields where Robison and DeArmond meet are usually a reliable spot for Rough-legs in the winter season.

Marcia F. Cutler